Fallout 4 for PC took the gaming world by the storm, just like many other titles under the famous Bethesda label. The 2015 post-apocalyptic RPG was received with great enthusiasm by both the players and the critics. But, as we all know, the true perfect storm occurs when modders come front and center to offer their fellow gamers a myriad of enhancements and fixes. Fallout 4 modes make no exceptions and now we have thousands of such amazing tweaks to enjoy. One of the easiest way to fully benefit from the latest enhancements is to use the Fallout 4 Nexus Mod manager instead of manually enabling modding.
The Fallout 4 Nexus Mod manager is free and open source software allowing the user to install, update and manage your mods. It currently allows you access to hundreds of Fallout 4 mods – but to benefit from them at their full potential, you need to learn how to work your way around the game’s install files.
Fallout 4 Nexus Mod Guide
The first step to take when modding any game is to make a thorough backup of all your file games, including the loose configuration ones. After you made sure your files are properly stored, you can use the Fallout 4 Nexus Mod Manager to get things in motion.
- Download the Nexus Mod Manager
- Create an account and install the manager
- In the manager window, look for your profile icon in the bottom-left corner – click on it to log into your Nexus account in the manager to look for Fallout 4 mods and enable direct downloads
- Don’t fret if the popup opens behind the main NMM program window, you will get things right eventually.
- Find a mod you want to install and go to the Files tab on the mod’s Nexus page and click on it.
- Select the files you want to download and make sure you also select Download With Manager on those files.
- Read all the installation instructions provided by the modder just as attentively you read your quests – it will keep you safe from any errors or problems.
- Now that you are sure what mod you want to enjoy, double-click on in once the download is finished; you can also select the mod and click on the left green checkmark button Enable Mod to finally install and activate it.
- In case the game crashes at startup or during the gameplay after mod installation, go to your Plugins tab in the Fallout 4 Nexus Mod Manager and make sure the load order is arranged in the correct manner.
Game Play Tip: Fallout 4 Script Extender
One of the most important mentions here is that many talented modders use the Fallout 4 Script Extender to create complex mods for the game to process. And while modders need this particular tool for their complex enhancing programming tasks, the players need to install it as well in case they want to enjoy the mods enabled by the Fallout 4 Script Extender. You can do so by downloading the current version on the script extender’s site.
Gaming Experience Tip: Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
Fallout 4 is as bugged as it is complex, like many other games of its magnitude. Luckily for everybody, the modding community packed up a handful of fixes you won’t find in the official game patches. While the patch won’t significantly change the game, it may fix a lot of issues and make your game experience way smoother.
3 Best Fallout 4 Mods to Try
Now that you successfully managed to use the Fallout 4 Nexus Mod Manager to hand-pick your mods, you should also know about a few of the most appreciated and interesting mods to try.
- Enhanced Wasteland: create your own Fallout 4 world full of bold, contrasting and hypnotizing color, contrast, and texture with the Enhanced Wasteland Preset for SweetFX 2.0 for a vibrant graphic experience.
- Lowered Weapons: probably created as per popular request, this mod allows you to lower your weapon during more peaceful times when you don’t have to be a trigger-happy survivor. The weapon lowering frees a large portion of your vision angle, thus allowing you to fully immerse and enjoy the world.
- Extended Manufacturing: this is an Extended type of mod bringing far more complex and innovative game changes. The junk you already have in your inventory can be directly turned into new amazing items by new machines, clearly improving your game experience.
Whether you are a seasoned Fallout 4 player or you are just trying out the new Fallout 4 Nexus mods, you will surely enjoy the game and have plenty of joys as you get yourself immersed into the story.